The Sunday Mail (Qld) January 23, 2011 Edited by S W T Read Jan 23, 2011 7:59am
UNBELIEVABLE AND HEARTLESS
A HEARTLESS Queensland Health bureaucrat demanded staff explain why they were not at work during Brisbane's devastating floods and to provide photos proving they were victims.
While Premier Anna Bligh was calling on businesses to show compassion, Queensland Health was ordering staff to justify their absence.
This was the latest kick in the teeth for thousands of hard-working Queensland Health staff.
These are the people who went underpaid for weeks during the bungled pay system rollout last year.
Health Minister Paul Lucas yesterday said the memo was an insult, and the bureaucrat who issued it had been disciplined.
"This is one of the most insensitive and stupid emails to be sent to staff that I have seen in my ministerial career," he said.
"It is just so offensive to Queensland Health staff who go above and beyond the call."
In my opinion this bureaucrat should be sacked without delay, there is no room for this sort of action in the 21st century.
I support bringing back the lash just for this person, although I don't think even the lash would bring commonsense to this this idiot.
The memo, sent on January 10, reminded workers to provide firm evidence - including photos - to substantiate "flood leave".
"What attempts were made to use any other route to work, what attempts were made for the staff member to work at another Government location (as per the policy).
"If a photo can be supplied this will help to simplify the approval process."
The memo remained in place while residents were being warned to prepare for a flood "bigger than 1974" and while the community rallied to help fellow victims.
LET QUEENSLAND HEALTH
CAN SOMEONE LEND ME A CAMERA
MY BOSS WANTS A SNAP SHOT!