Growing Old in England
- Some parents NEVER owned their own house, never wore Levis, never set foot on a golf course, or had a credit card.
- Pizzas were not delivered to our home... But milk was.
- All newspapers were delivered by boys and all boys delivered newspapers.
- We didn't have a television in our house until I was 19. It was, of course, black and white, and the station went off the air at midnight, after playing the national anthem.
- My parents never drove me to school. I had a bicycle that weighed probably 50 pounds, and only had one speed, (slow).
- I never had a telephone in my room. The only phone was on a party line.
- Before you could dial, you had to listen and make sure some people you didn't know weren't already using the line.
- Movie stars kissed with their mouths shut. At least, they did in the movies.
- There were no movie ratings because all movies were responsibly produced for everyone to enjoy viewing, without profanity or violence or most anything offensive.